الأربعاء، 6 مارس 2013

I Love the Treadmill


Treadmill [n.]: A torture device perfected in the 20th century, designed to destroy one’s mind through sensory deprivation and monotony.
Mark Remy, runnersworld.com executive editor, in The Runner’s Rule Book
Ok, I understand why the treadmill gets a bad rap. It can be pretty boring, but I enjoy it, especially in the winter and for interval workouts. If a treadmill would fit in our basement (sadly, the ceilings are too low), I’d own one and run on it all the time.
Maybe I’m a weirdo, but I really love running on the treadmill. Here’s why:
  • I never have to worry about the weather. The treadmill is located indoors where it’s nice and warm or nice and cool, depending on the season.
  • I can truly zone out on it. Running on a treadmill means I don’t have to worry about the potential hazards of running outside, like cars, potholes, snow, ice, rabid dogs, or gangs of wild turkeys. The treadmill is safe and cozy.
  • I can multitask. Ok, I multitask on my outdoor runs too, but I do more so on the treadmill. I listen to music, watch TV, and check my email/Twitter on my iPhone when I’m walking during rest intervals. (I know, I’m totally one of those people, but at least I keep to myself and don’t bother other gym goers by talking on my cell phone while I’m on the treadmill, right?)
  • It’s great for interval/speed workouts. When I do my interval/speed workouts outside, I often find it difficult to accurately judge my pace and distance out on the open road—even when I look at my Garmin a zillion times. The treadmill makes it easy for me to maintain a consistent pace and track my distance. It basically just takes the guesswork out speed/interval workouts for me.
  • It’s made me tougher: The treadmill workouts I’ve been doing lately include much faster speeds than I’m normally used to, which means maintaining that pace is no easy task. But, the fact that the treadmill doesn’t slow down when I start to tire (unless I change speeds) has pushed me to toughen up and keep my little legs running at faster paces. I hate wussing out during an interval, so I almost always push myself to finish strong.
Are you a treadmill lover or treadmill hater?

Workout

Speaking of treadmills, guess what got me to the gym to run this morning? An oil change!
IMG_1062 (800x598)_thumb
Hey, whatever works, right?
My gym is located right next door to where I get the oil in my car changed, so I scheduled an appointment for bright and early this morning, so I’d have to get my butt in gear. I mean, what’s the point of wasting time, sitting at the automotive place, waiting for my car to be finished? I might as well break a sweat while I wait!
Today’s workout was 5 X 400m with 60 seconds rest on the treadmill. I warmed-up with a mile jog and then got right to it. I knew it’d be a short workout, so I pushed myself on the 400s by turning up the speed on the treadmill to 9.0 MPH. The 4th and 5th intervals were killer, but I didn’t let myself stop or slow down. I finished the entire workout (warm-up included) in less than 25 minutes. It was short, but tough!

Lunch

After my workout, I came home for lunch, which was a veggie smorgasbord. When my fridge is packed full of brightly colored vegetables, I can’t help but make healthy meals. I’m also really cheap, so seeing food go to waste drives me nuts, which encourages me to eat it!
On the menu: arugula salad with two hardboiled eggs, truffle salt, and balsamic vinegar.
IMG_0003 (800x600)_thumb
Sweet potato wedges + kale chips.
IMG_0004 (800x600)_thumb
Veg-a-licious!
IMG_0009 (800x600)_thumb
After lunch, I satisfied my sweet tooth with some peanut M&Ms.
IMG_0011 (800x600)_thumb

Snack

I spent the next few hours working away before I started to get hungry again. I received Today’s Top 9 email from DailyBuzz Healthy Living about smoothies this morning, and I stumbled upon Brittany’s recipe for a Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie. Obviously, I needed to make it ASAP.
IMG_0001 (600x800)_thumb[1]
It did not disappoint, and it tasted just like an oatmeal cookie. YUM!
P.S. Here’s an interesting article about “the science behind your booty” from Fitness magazine: How to Build a Stronger, Defined Butt.

Read more at http://carrotsncake.com/2012/02/why-i-love-the-treadmill.html#z79yhIUCC8iO3orZ.99 

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق